Merry Christmas, Mr. Prime Minister
Conservative Sen. Jean-Guy Dagenais took a jab at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Thursday, sharing a video of himself wrapping a Christmas gift for the Liberal leader: a box of tissues.
"I'm going to wrap my gift for the prime minister," Dagenais says as he folds red wrapping paper over a Kleenex box. "I think he's going to need it," the Quebec senator, appointed by former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper states.
CPP death benefit change slammed
OTTAWA — A change to the Canada Pension Plan to provide a flat-rate death benefit to help low-income families cover funeral costs falls short of what funeral homes say is needed to cover the cost of a final farewell.
After meetings this week, federal and provincial finance ministers set the death benefit at a flat $2,500, regardless of how long or how much someone had paid into CPP. Full story in the TORONTO SUN
The two-faced stance of the National Football League
1218 - Question: So why don't other sports associations allow players to exercise their freedom of speech by advocating for specific social/political/economic issues?
Answer: Because the fans who spend good money and time to attend the games (including transportation, parking, walking, and dealing with the inconvenience of crowds) and escape for a few hours from other issues would not attend the games at all and profits would plummet - like they have with the NFL.
• In 2012 the NFL had an issue with Tim Tebow kneeling for each game to pray, they also had an issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his eye-black to avoid glare, and made him take it off.
• In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for people with mental health disorders.
• In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3) entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus Know Peace" but was forced to turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before speaking at the podium.
• In 2015 DeAngelo Williams was fined for wearing "Find the Cure" eye black for breast cancer awareness.
• In 2015 William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence. (Not that the NFL has a domestic violence problem...)
• In 2016 the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor of 5 Dallas Police officers killed in the line of duty.
• In 2016 the NFL threatened to fine players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11.
So tell me again how the NFL supports free speech and expression, all of a sudden.
It seems based on these facts that the NFL has taken a position against any action by NFL players demonstrating RESPECT for any issue: For God, social causes such as mental health, cancer, domestic violence, for cops killed arbitrarily for being cops, for the Memory of 9/11. But, they will allow demonstrations of DISRESPECT for America, the Flag, the National Anthem, and the American People in general if it will help mollify a particular group and its supporters (such as Black Lives Matter, and other groups.)
That is who and what the NFL has become. Pass this post along to all your friends and family. Honor the military, too many of whom have come home with the American Flag draped over their coffin.
Trump's tax cuts will have a major impact on Canada
1217 -Love him or loathe him, Donald Trump now matters. This is getting serious. The tax cut bill, to take effect in 2018, is revolutionary and may touch your life. Most Canadians have absolutely no idea what this is, or why it’s happening.
Some key points to know: the overall corporate tax rate will be dropped by 40%. That’s extreme. Corporations will be able to deduct the cost of new equipment for the next five years immediately, instead of over decades. Also extreme. Small business owners will get a 20% tax cut on incomes below about $300,000. Compare that to what Bill Morneau’s doing. Personal deductions double and the average federal tax bill will fall, says Trump, “by half.” The top personal tax bracket clicks in at $600,000 (it’s $220,000 here), and is reduced by 7%. Mortgage interest remains deductible. Death taxes drop by 50% until 2026. Trump heirs, say mainstream media, will save about $1 billion.
Read the whole article at THE GREATER FOOL