Nanaimo is the jewel of Vancouver Island. Our potential is limitless.
I have lived in Harewood since 1989, raising my two children as a single mother, both proud graduates of John Barsby Community School.
I am a Chartered Insurance
Professional and have been part of the management team for BCAA since 1997. Serving the public and working in the insurance industry has provided me the opportunity to develop strong communication and advocacy skills. At this time I am on the Board
for Community Futures Mid-Island where I also participate on the loans committee.
I have political experience as a School Trustee and past President of Tourism Nanaimo. Over the years I have had the privilege to gain experience and knowledge of
our city and our citizens through the various organizations and city committee.
Past Community Involvement
- District 68 school Trustee 1996-1999
President Tourism Nanaimo
- Social Planning Advisory Committee
- Grants Advisory Committee
- Nanaimo Economic Development Group
- SAFER Downtown Nanaimo Project
- Social Development Strategy for Nanaimo
Reducing Homelessness Community Plan for Nanaimo
I can provide strong leadership and work collaboratively with Council members. I would like to see the city rebuild relationships with all of our stakeholders and partners. Snuneymuxw First
Nations, Federal and Provincial ministries, VIU, VIHA, SD#68, RDN, Nanaimo Chamber, business and neighbourhood associations to name a few, and most importantly the citizens of Nanaimo.
I envision a Nanaimo of that is diverse and inclusive. To
lead the way creating a city that is safe, healthy, and accessible,
Some of my top priorities are:
- A change in the work culture for the employees – to feel respected, valued, and engaged
- Low income
and supportive housing – working with government ministries, implementing solutions that have worked in similar small cities and not reinventing the wheel.
- Improved public transportation including passenger fast ferry
- Green initiatives
that support zero waste
- Food security and support of local agriculture
- Revitalization of downtown – no derelict buildings and enhancing public space
- South end waterfront – completing the plan so the
waterfront is an attractive, green and interactive place for everyone in Nanaimo to enjoy and will attract visitors to our beautiful city and waterfront
I believe environmental and social responsibility go hand in hand with a healthy
Every election is important, but for the citizens of Nanaimo, this one is crucial as we need positive change.
I want to hear from you. What are the most important issues for you?
Facebook Page – http://www.zenimaartmanfornanaimo.com