As your representative as school trustee, I will reflect the interests of everyone who lives in the school district, not just those who have a direct interest or involvement in schools. As member of a Board of Education, I will act in
a business-like manner and provide governance, strategic direction and advocacy to the Nanaimo-Ladysmith Public Schools for all Stakeholders.
Creating a culture of board excellence through good governance which is achieved through
an on-going discourse that attempts to capture all of the considerations involved in assuring that stakeholder interests are addressed and reflected in policy initiatives. These considerations include the rule of law, transparency, accountablility and participation
of board members and stakeholders.
School board decisions take the form of plans, policies and budgets – all of which need to be aligned in order to achieve the vision for public education held by the community
and defined by the school board. As a planner for the past 20 years and a resident of Nanaimo since 1972, my extensive personal and professional experience will provide the board with experience with regards to important infrastructure and budget decisions
which are coming in 2018-19.
As a board member of a private school for disabled children and the father of three children in the schools system, I am connected to what is happening in our schools for a wide range of needs and ages.
I will seek public support for or recommendation of a particular cause or policy before making decisions at the board level. I intend to consult Parents, Teachers, Students and other Stakeholders and crowd source their knowledge and needs to help form
my decisions and ultimately how i vote on major decisions facing the School District.
- Nanaimo Unique Kids Org., Disabled Kids Learning Center, Board Member 2017 - Present
- City of Nanaimo - Planning & Transportation
Comittee 2015 - Present
- Finn & Assoc. Design, Director 2011- Present
- Member of Chamber of Commerce (Nanaimo)
- City of Nanaimo - Board of Variance 2016-2018
- City of Nanaimo - Design Panel 2016 -2018
- City of Nanaimo
- Environment Committee 2015-2017
- City of Nanaimo - Heritage & Culture Committee 2015-2017
- Rotary International (Nanaimo), Director 2014-2016
- RDP Architects, Director 1998-2004
- Instructor , Pacific Design Academy 1996-1998